Apprentices – Stoke & Gailey
Outdoor/Sports Activity Leadership Apprenticeship
RECRUITING THIS SUMMER FOR SEPTEMBER 2017
Do you love the outdoors AND helping other people learn?
Want to earn a wage whilst gaining at least two Nationally Recognised Outdoor Qualifications?
We are looking for apprentices who have tons of energy and enthusiasm for the outdoor education industry as well as a willingness to support learners with special educational needs and challenging behaviour.
Based between our school in Stoke-on-Trent and various outdoor locations, our apprentices will be working alongside our Outdoor Activity Instructors (OAI) and Inclusive Education Practitioners (IEP) working closely with students (2:1 or 2:2 staff: student ratio).
You will help to deliver a mixture of academic (maths, English and ICT) and outdoor activities (Mountain biking, kayaking and more…) to young students with challenging behaviour and special educational needs.
During term time you will work from 8.30am – 4.30pm but this is not your typical 9 – 5!
Your IEP (who may have started as an apprentice themselves) will take the lead for the day to day management of their learner’s bespoke curriculum; and you will support and learn from them; hopefully following in their footsteps at the end of your apprenticeship programme!
Outside of term time you will work at one of our fully equipped Outdoor Activity Centres helping to deliver a wide range of activities ranging from climbing to kayaking to orienteering to raft building. You will need to be flexible and happy to work some weekends as activity instructors will be scheduled on a rota basis. This is another area of the role where you can really get stuck in and learn some awesome new skills outside of the classroom.
What we offer you:
* Level 2 Diploma in Support Teaching and Learning/Outdoor Activity Leader
* Functional Skills Maths level 1, level 2 English, level 1 ICT
* Two nationally recognised Outdoor Activity Qualifications
* Employee Rights and Responsibilities
* Personal Learning and Thinking Skills
* The possibility of a permanent role upon completion of the apprenticeship and the opportunity to progress into an Inclusive Education Practitioner Role
What we need from you :
* You must be age 18 or over
* Maths grades D or above and English GCSE grade C or above
* You will need good ICT skills
* You must be willing to undertake a DBS check
* Be happy to commit to apprenticeship training requirements (lasting for 1 year/4 terms) which will include self-study both during and outside your working hours.
* Be happy to commit to training for additional outdoor activity qualifications (which may be delivered outside normal working hours)
* A flexible attitude and able to communicate with children of a variety of ages and backgrounds
* You must have a positive attitude and enthusiasm for the outdoors!
* The desire to help others to learn, to motivate and to support others to recognise and achieve their potential.
This apprenticeship will be hands on, challenging and will stretch you to your limits but most importantly it will be fun and exciting and will develop so many important skills for your future.
We hope that you will stay with us after your apprenticeship and become one of our respected Inclusive Education Practitioners.
We have positions at our schools in Stoke and Gailey. To apply, please email [email protected] to request an application form.